The Images Publishing Group
SIR EDWIN LUTYENS. The Arts & Crafts Houses
di David Cole
- Chronicles a suite of 45 great country houses by Sir Edwin Lutyens, one of Britain's most renowned and prolific Arts and Crafts master architects
- Celebrates Lutyens's originality by capturing how Lutyens ingeniously blended the style of the Arts and Crafts movement with his own inventive interpretation of the Classical language of architecture
- Provides a fresh interpretation of Lutyens's enduring architectural genius through rigorous research, insightful overviews, valuable narrative details, and comprehensive references
- Brings together a rich, full-colour showcase of 575 all-new current photographs of the houses, inside and outside, along with a superb selection of drawings and floor plans
- Expertly researched and written by architectural writer and practitioner, David Cole, who also authored IMAGES' successful book The Art and Architecture of C.F.A. Voysey ISBN 9781864706048
Sir Edwin Lutyens is widely regarded as one of Britain's greatest architects. In a career of over 50 years, spanning the Victorian, Edwardian and modern eras of architecture, Lutyens was prolific. His work ranged from great country houses, city commercial office buildings, his famous World War I memorials across Europe and Britain, and his magnum opus designs for New Delhi built during the 1920s and 1930s.
Despite such diversity of building types across his long career, Lutyens's most celebrated works remain his country houses, which first established his reputation during the 1890s. As Lutyens's practice flourished his work became widely promoted in publications such as Country Life magazine, and his houses, particularly those designed in the vernacular manner, would subsequently give rise to an entire genre of the English country house that became known, as it is to this day, as a 'Lutyens-style' house.
Sir Edwin Lutyens: The Arts and Crafts Houses brings together in new, wide-format, full-colour photography a definitive collection of 45 of Lutyens's great Arts and Crafts houses, in which he ingeniously blended the style of the Arts and Crafts movement with his own inventive interpretation of the Classical language of architecture. The book features 575 all-new current photographs of the houses, inside and outside, together with a selection of floor plans of the houses, and a fresh interpretation of Lutyens's enduring architectural genius.
> David Cole is a practising architect who lives in Melbourne, Australia. Throughout his career as a design director with an Australian-based international architectural practice he has specialised in the design of large-scale commercial and civic projects. In over 30 years of practice he has designed projects throughout Australia, Japan, Thailand, China, United Arab Emirates and New Zealand. David has had a long-term interest in the architecture of the English Arts and Crafts movement. He is the author of The Art and Architecture of C.F.A.Voysey.
Veste editoriale: Cartonato con Sovraccoperta
Immagini a colori: 575