SEBASTIÃO SALGADO. GENESIS (Limited Edition)
a cura di Lélia Wanick Salgado
GENESIS: A photographic Homage to our Planet in its natural State
Of the myriad works Sebastião Salgado has produced in his acclaimed photography career, three long-term projects stand out: Workers (1993), documenting the vanishing way of life of manual laborers across the world; Migrations (2000), a tribute to mass migration driven by hunger, natural disasters, environmental degradation, or demographic pressure; and this new opus, GENESIS, the result of an epic eight-year expedition to rediscover the mountains, deserts and oceans, the animals and peoples that have so far escaped the imprint of modern society – the land and life of a still pristine planet.
“My love letter to the planet.” — (Sebastião Salgado)
On over 30 trips – traveled on foot, by light aircraft, seagoing vessels, canoes, and even balloons, through extreme heat and cold and in sometimes dangerous conditions – Salgado created a collection of images showing us nature, animals, and indigenous peoples in such shocking and intense beauty it takes our breath away. In GENESIS, one discovers the animal species and volcanoes of the Galápagos; the penguins, sea lions, cormorants, and whales of the South Atlantic; Brazilian alligators and jaguars; and African lions, leopards, and elephants. Through Salgado’s lens, we travel over icebergs in the Antarctic, the volcanoes of Central Africa, the ravines of the Grand Canyon, and the glaciers of Alaska. We encounter the Stone Age Korowai people of West Papua, nomadic Dinka cattle farmers in Sudan, Nenets and their reindeer herds in the Arctic Circle, as well as the Mentawai jungle communities on islands west of Sumatra.
- This Collector’s Edition, designed and edited by Lélia Wanick Salgado, features exquisitely reproduced large-format images arranged not by theme or region but rather conceived as a portfolio that takes beholders on a journey around the globe, immersing them in Salgado’s vision of the Earth’s mesmerizing scale, order, and beauty.
- The Collector's Edition comes with a custom book stand made of cherry wood designed by Tadao AndoThe GENESIS book stand was conceived by Japanese architect Tadao Ando, the only living person to have won architecture’s four most prestigious prizes. Ando's simple and innovative design consists of two “twin” pieces of wood, bound together with leather, into which a third piece of wood can be slotted to form a sturdy, elegant display. Each set is numbered and signed by the artist Eight years of travel, over 30 journeys into territory far and beyond civilization: this publication celebrates Sebastião Salgado’s majestic hymn to planet Earth in a worldwide limited edition of 3,000 numbered and signed sets.
- Collector’s Edition limited to 2,500 copies (No. 501-3,000), numbered and signed by Sebastião Salgado
- Two volumes bound in quarter-leather and cloth
- SUMO size: 46.8 x 70 cm (18.4 x 27.6 in.)
- Comes with a book stand made of cherry wood designed by Tadao Ando.
- Also included is a cloth-bound caption book.
- Delivered in a wooden cargo box (total weight: 59 kg [130 lb])
- € 3,000 / $ 4,000 / £ 2,500
Subscription prices until May 31, 2013:
€ 2,500 / $ 3,000 / £ 2,000
> Sebastião Salgado began his career as a professional photographer in Paris in 1973 and subsequently worked with the photo agencies Sygma, Gamma and Magnum Photos. In 1994 he and his wife Lélia created Amazonas images, which exclusively handles his work. Salgado’s photographic projects have been featured in many exhibitions as well as books, including Other Americas (1986), Sahel,L'Homme en détresse (1986), Workers (1993), Terra (1997), Migrations (2000),The Children (2000) and Africa (2007).
> Lélia Wanick Salgado studied architecture and urban planning in Paris. Her interest in photography started in 1970. In the 1980s she moved on to conceiving and designing photography books and organizing exhibitions, numerous of them on Sebastião Salgado. Since 1994 Lélia Wanick Salgado has been the director of Amazonas images.
Veste editoriale: Cartonato + Cofanetto + Leggio in Legno