Phaidon Press Ltd.
A guide to this seminal American Arts & Crafts figure
- First comprehensive monograph on Gustav Stickley (1858-1942), a pivotal figure of the American Arts & Crafts movement, covering all facets of his career
- Cathers is one of the most distinguished and widely consulted scholars on Stickley
- An indispensable research volume, which includes chronology, bibliography and appendix on Stickley's significant collaborators
- Must-have book for collectors, auction houses, museums and students and scholars of the American Arts & Crafts movement and 20th-century decorative arts
- Generously illustrated with archival and specially commissioned photographs of furniture and objects, as well as people and places central to Stickley's life
* > Gustav Stickley (1858-1942) is an iconic character and one of the most influential figures of the American Arts & Crafts movement. A self-made man whose furniture company, Craftsman Workshops, and the seminal magazine he founded in 1901, The Craftsman, held wide-ranging influence over American interior design and decorative arts for decades. Though best-known as a designer of functional yet beautifully crafted wooden furniture, Stickley was also an entrepreneur and brilliant manager who assembled a talented team of collaborators to produce lamps, metalwork, textiles, plans for houses, and interiors. This is the first ever authoritative and comprehensive monograph on the life and career of Stickley, and constitutes an essential contribution to the field of American Arts & Crafts and decorative arts. It is generously illustrated with archival and specially commissioned photographs of furniture and objects, as well as people and places central to Stickley's life.
David Cathers is one of the most widely consulted scholars on Stickley, and this book gathers together years of his research and expertise.Gustav Stickley includes a chronology, bibliography and detailed biographical information on all of Stickley's significant collaborators, making it an indispensable research volume, as well as a sheer pleasure into which to delve.
Veste editoriale: Brossura
Immagini a colori: 100
Immagini b/n: 200