Joseph Maria Olbrich (1867–1908) was an apprentice at Otto Wagner’s master class in Vienna. In 1897/98 Olbrich erected the exhibition building of the Vienna Secession at Karlsplatz, renowned for its golden dome with its unmistakable gilt bronze leaves. It is one of the best known buildings of the Austrian Art Nouveau.
In 1899 Grand Duke Ernst Ludwig of Hesse and by Rhine summoned Josef Maria Olbrich – and six other artists – to the newly founded Mathildenhöhe Artists’ Colony in Darmstadt. It was here that a very productive phase began for Olbrich, although it would come to an end all too soon with his untimely death in 1908.
The first edition of Ideen von Olbrich was published in 1900, attesting to the supreme success of his work in Vienna up to 1899, which he dedicated ‘in reverence and in gratitude to his Grand Duke’. This new publication is an un- revised reprint of the second edition of 1904, with the addition of many hitherto unknown examples of works and sketches from Olbrich’s time in Darmstadt. The book is now published again in its original format to commemorate this great artist, around 100 years after his death.
The book matches in detail the original second edition published in 1904, designed lovingly by Olbrich himself. It is a bibliophilic treasure for every Art Nouveau enthusiast and admirer of Olbrich.
Veste editoriale: Cartonato + Cofanetto Formato: 22,5x19 Pagine: 196 Immagini a colori: 100 Immagini b/n: 100 Lingua: D Anno: 2012